King Lear Theatre BreakBook theatre break to see King Lear
Book a theatre break for King Lear through our secure theatre booking system. Get live availability information, check latest offers and find the best prices. Seat numbers are confirmed before you purchase.
Following a sold-out run at Chichester Festival Theatre, Olivier Award-winner Sir Ian McKellen reprises his role as King Lear in Jonathan Munby’s acclaimed revival of one of Shakespeare’s greatest tragedies.
Made weary by age and on the edge of madness, King Lear decides to divide his realm among his three daughters, promising the largest share to the child who loves him the most. Allowing vanity to cloud his judgment and misjudging his children’s loyalty, Lear soon finds himself stripped of all the trappings of state, wealth and power he had taken for granted. As his sanity begins to slide, he is left alone in the wilderness accompanied only by his faithful fool, forced to lament the mistakes of a life that has brought him to this point.
In this powerful examination of conflict, human suffering and kinship, Lear's position of authority as both a ruler and a father gradually disintegrates as his mind betrays him.
Duke of York's Theatre
St Martin's Lane
- Choose your show from all the leading West End musicals and plays
- Select from our extensive range of 2, 3, 4 or 5 star hotels
- Decide how long you'd like to stay, just one night, a midweek or weekend break or a week long holiday.
- Add extras such as a meal in a restaurant, tickets for sightseeing tours and top London visitor attractions
- You can include travel with our packages. Take advantage of our inclusive train travel deals